Biobest Stem Cell
Biobest are pleased to offer our stem cell service, Biobest Stem Cells, direct to practice. Biobest have been involved in the culture of mesenchymal stem cells since 2005 and have provided cells for more than 1,200 treatments to date. Initially the service was developed for equine customers however we have recently developed a canine stem cell service. Biobest also work in partnership with Nupsala veterinary services who can provide advice, training and support for veterinary orthopaedic treatments.
Biobest are the largest VMD authorised Stem Cell Centre currently operating in the UK, a copy of our authorisation can be found here.
Biobest culture cells directly from bone marrow aspirates or adipose tissue, these can then be used in clinical applications, primarily the treatment of tendon and ligament injuries.
- The use of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of tendon and ligament injuries is based on over 10 years of research carried out at the Royal Veterinary College.
- A growing number of small animal practices are performing stem cell treatment in dogs citing joint problems as the main target for the therapy, especially those conditions that end up as arthritis, such as hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and osteochondrosis.
- Recent publications have shown that stem cell treatment halves the re-injury rate when compared with conventional therapies.
- Biobest use QC checks at each stage of the process to ensure that the client receives the highest quality cells. Prior to release cells are checked for sterility, viability and the number of cells dispatched is confirmed.
- Biobest’s experience in both producing and sending stem cells for many years allows us to receive and dispatch cells ready to implant in fully validated temperature controlled packaging systems at ambient temperature. We believe this is superior to sending frozen cells in unlicensed chemicals such as DMSO.
Biobest provide aspiration kits containing all the consumables required to take a sample. The sample is then sent to us and we isolate and culture the stem cells in our dedicated cell culture laboratory. Once the required number of cells have been cultured we will contact the practice directly to arrange transport of the cells for implantation. Cells are returned to customers suspended in the patients own plasma, this avoids the need to use unlicensed cryoprotectants and cell culture reagents in a therapeutic product. Our cells are shipped in fully validated ‘biotherm’ boxes to ensure that they reach the practice in top condition.
Details of our prices are included below:
- Equine bone marrow aspiration kit (including transport box): £82.50
- Canine adipose tissue kit (including transport box): £35
- Transport box only: £20
- Equine Stem Cell Culture - up to 40 million cells from bone marrow aspirate: £995
- Canine Stem Cell Culture - 10 million cells from adipose tissue (includes cryopreservation of cells): £500
- Canine Stromal Vascular Fraction (SVF) 48 hour service (includes cryopreservation of cells): £350
- Cryopreservation of equine stem cells (for up to 5 years): £200
- Resuscitation of cryopreserved cells (10 million): £200
- All inclusive up front equine kit (only available from our webshop). This includes the aspiration kit with transport box, culture of up to 40 million cells and cryopreservation of cells for up to 5 years: £1,200
All prices exclude VAT but include P&P (mainland UK only, please contact us to discuss costs for other regions).
To arrange a supply of aspiration kits or submit samples please contact our office directly on 0131 440 2628.
A Few Facts and Figures*:
- 74.4% of treated racehorses returned to racing post-treatment
- 55 racehorses have run more than 10 times since receiving treatment
- 225 racehorse wins post-treatment
- 598 racehorses placed 1-3 post-treatment
- 1960 racehorse runs post-treatment
- 581 racehorses treated
- 1835 total horses treated
*Figures supplied by Vetcell