Biobest Stem Cell
Biobest are pleased to announce the launch of our new equine stem cell service, Biobest Stem Cells. For the first time this service now allows practitioners to access our stem cell culture service directly. Biobest have been involved in the culture of equine mesenchymal stem cells since 2005 and have provided cells for more than 1,100 treatments to date. Biobest are the only VMD authorised Equine Stem Cell Centre currently operating in the UK, a copy of our authorisation can be found here.
Biobest culture cells directly from bone marrow aspirates or adipose tissue and these can then be used in clinical applications, primarily the treatment of tendon and ligament injuries.
- The use of mesenchymal stem cells for the
treatment of tendon and ligament injuries is based on over 10 years of research
carried out at the Royal Veterinary College.
- Recent publications have shown that stem cell
treatment halves the re-injury rate when compared with conventional therapies.
- Biobest use QC checks at each stage of the process to ensure that the client receives the highest quality cells. Prior to release cells are checked for sterility, viability and the number of cells dispatched is confirmed.
Biobest provide aspiration kits containing all the consumables required to take a sample. The sample is then sent to us and we isolate and culture the stem cells in our dedicated cell culture laboratory. Once the required number of cells have been cultured we will contact the practice directly to arrange transport of the cells for implantation. Cells are transported in validated ‘biotherm’ boxes to ensure that they reach the practice in top condition.
Details of our prices are included below:
- Bone marrow aspiration kit (including transport box): £82.50 (please contact us directly if you wish to send adipose tissue)
- Transport box only: £20
- Culture of up to 40 million cells from bone marrow aspirate: £995
- Cryopreservation of cells (for up to 5 years): £200
- Resuscitation of cryopreserved cells (10 million): £200
- All inclusive up front kit (only available from our webshop). This includes the aspiration kit with transport box, culture of up to 40 million cells and cryopreservation of cells for up to 5 years: £1,200
All prices exclude VAT but include P&P (mainland UK only, please contact us to discuss costs for other regions).
To arrange a supply of aspiration kits or submit samples please contact our office directly on 0131 440 2628.
A Few Facts and Figures*:
- 74.4% of treated racehorses returned to racing post-treatment
- 55 racehorses have run more than 10 times since receiving treatment
- 225 racehorse wins post-treatment
- 598 racehorses placed 1-3 post-treatment
- 1960 racehorse runs post-treatment
- 581 racehorses treated
- 1835 total horses treated
*Figures supplied by Vetcell