Lyme Disease PCR
Biobest are pleased to offer express Lyme Disease testing of ticks for individuals who have been bitten.
See our guide on what to do if bitten by a tick.
To send ticks to us directly please read and follow these instructions carefully. If you have any questions or problems please contact any member of our office team on 0131 440 2628.
1. You will need to send us an intact tick for testing. In order to minimise the risk of infection it is essential that ticks are removed correctly. It is best to use a proprietary tick removal tool or fine tipped tweasers for this purpose.
2. Place the tick into a clean, secure container. This should be a rigid container in order to avoid the tick being crushed in transit. Alternatively a sealed bag (e.g. freezer bag, sandwich bag or similar) can be used inside a rigid shipping container (e.g. small box). The tick can be killed by freezing for 48 hours prior to shipping or can be sent live.
3. Please ensure that you complete the details on the submission form in full to ensure that results can be returned to you in a timely manner.
4. Payment must accompany each sample. We prefer payment by credit/debit card but also accept payment by cash or bank transfer.
The cost per sample is £40.00 ex-VAT.
5. Send sample to: Biobest Laboratories Ltd, 6 Charles Darwin House, The Edinburgh Technopole, Milton Bridge, Nr Penicuik, EH26 0PY.
6. Results are usually available 3-5 working days after receipt at the lab. When testing is complete we will e-mail a report to the address provided.
7. If the result is negative no trace of the bacteria associated with Lyme disease have been found, if the result is positive DNA consistent with bacteria which cause Lyme disease has been found, and there is therefore a risk of Lyme disease developing. The test report should be discussed with your doctor at the earliest opportunity, and can be used as a timely, accurate basis for initiating appropriate treatment and minimising the risk of long term illness.