Lyme Disease PCR
Biobest are pleased to offer express Lyme Disease testing of ticks for individuals who have been bitten but have not purchased a pre-paid kit for submitting ticks to the lab. This premium service is available to anyone but please bear in mind the most cost effective solution is to have a testing kit available in case you are bitten. All inclusive kits (which include lab fees and everything required to remove the tick and post to Biobest) are available from our partners at Pyramid Travel Products.
To send ticks to us directly please read and follow these instructions carefully. If you have any questions or problems please contact any member of our office team on 0131 440 2628.
1. You will need to send us an intact tick for testing. In order to minimise the risk of infection it is essential that ticks are removed correctly. It is best to use a proprietary tick removal tool or fine tipped tweasers for this purpose.
2. Place the tick into a clean, secure container. This should be a rigid container in order to avoid the tick being crushed in transit. Alternatively a sealed bag (e.g. freezer bag, sandwich bag or similar) can be used inside a rigid shipping container (e.g. small box). The tick can be killed by freezing for 48 hours prior to shipping or can be sent live.
3. Please ensure that you complete the details in the submission form in full to ensure that results can be returned to you in a timely manner.
4. Payment must accompany each sample. We prefer payment by credit/debit card but also accept payment by cash or bank transfer. If you wish to pay by credit card please complete the credit card payment form and the correct amount will be debited from your account. Please note that results will not be released under any circumstances unless we have received payment in full.
The cost per sample is £60.00 inclusive of VAT.
5. Send sample to: Biobest Laboratories Ltd, 6 Charles Darwin House, The Edinburgh Technopole, Milton Bridge, Nr Penicuik, EH26 0PY.
6. Results are usually available 3-5 working days after receipt at the lab. When testing is complete we will e-mail a report to the address provided.
7. If the result is negative no trace of the bacteria associated with Lyme disease have been found, if the result is positive DNA consistent with bacteria which cause Lyme disease has been found, and there is therefore a risk of Lyme disease developing. The test report should be discussed with your doctor at the earliest opportunity, and can be used as a timely, accurate basis for initiating appropriate treatment and minimising the risk of long term illness.