Biobest continue to offer a highly competitive rabies serology service to customers worldwide. We do not have any hidden charges for our routine rabies service, our all inclusive headline price includes:
- A standard turnaround time of 5-7 days from sample receipt.
- A testing certificate which is reviewed and signed by one of our veterinary surgeons.
- Results expressed as ‘Pass’ or ‘Fail’ along with an antibody titre in iu/ml.
- Biobest have been performing rabies testing for many years and we have procedures for dealing with samples which can cause other labs problems. We are confident that we will be able to obtain results for over 99% of samples. Our standard price includes pre-treatment and retesting of samples which are toxic or contaminated on an initial test.
- Our veterinary team will be happy to discuss any questions you may have regarding the test or interpretation of your results.
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO UK PET TRAVEL SCHEME - 30 JUNE 2011
Defra has announced changes (30 June 2011) regarding the regulations for the movement of pets under the Pet Travel Scheme. Under the changes which come into effect 1st January 2012 the UK (and Ireland, Sweden and Malta) will fall into line with the EU-wide Pet movement system. This means that for cats/dogs returning to the UK from EU countries and listed “approved” countries after this date there will be no requirement for a blood test to be carried out to verify Rabies vaccine effectiveness. There will however still be a requirement to test pets entering from countries on the “non-approved” country list.
The Biobest veterinary team have expressed concerns during consultation over the relaxation of the Pet Travel Scheme rules and its potential impact on the UK’s Rabies free status and we would encourage pet owners to consider the importance of confirming the effectiveness of vaccination prior to travel. However, we are keen to ensure our clients clearly understand when they need to carry out the blood test under the new regulations.
Please refer to our Biobest Rabies – Changes for 2012 statement and to all the Defra and Irish government links shown below for more information.
We will be updating the Rabies pages on this site over the next month to ensure they reflect the upcoming changes
Pet Travel Scheme Update Links
Biobest is the principal provider of rabies serology testing in Europe (for PETS, the Pet Travel Scheme). Biobest provide rabies blood testing services through several general clinical pathology laboratories, and also direct to the veterinary practice.
The Biobest rabies serology testing service is the quickest and most cost effective available. The rabies blood test takes 2 - 3 days and results will normally be available 5-7 days from sample receipt. For urgent samples we also offer a rabies express service.
Download sample forms here in order to send your sample in today (Please note that overseas customers should download the overseas form and paperwork from the menu below).
- Submitting Samples
- Overseas Information
- Swevet Website (Scandinavian partnership)
- Frequently asked questions on Biobest rabies testing
- EU Website
- Further rabies serology information
Biobest rabies serology certificates are accepted by the relevant European Pet Travel Schemes:
Further information regarding testing schedule, disease testing and prices, please follow the links from the menu on the left hand side.